Saturday, 3 August 2013

Lime Crime Lipstick in Babette - Review & Swatches

I've wanted to own a Lime Crime lipstick for the longest time, but was always concerned the shades were a bit too out-there for me.  Not being able to swatch them instore made it even more difficult to make up my mind.  However, when they recently released a new shade, Babette, it looked much more wearable, so I snapped one up on Love Make Up!

The lipstick comes in a purple cardboard box with a silver holographic unicorn on it.  Very Lime Crime!  I personally love this whimsical packaging and love what a refreshing change it makes from the usual
The tube also follows the style of the box and is purple with a holographic unicorn on it, plus stars and the Lime Crime logo.  The lipstick is about the same size as a MAC one, just a little chunkier.  It feels really satisfying in the hand and opens/closes with a click so it'll be safe in your bag!
Lime Crime lipsticks are vegan and not tested on animals.  This is a good thing in my book!  Lime Crime lipsticks cost £11.50 which makes them not quite high-end expensive but not quite drug store either.  You do have to factor in postage costs too
The bullet of Babette has the usually pointed lipstick shape and has the typical lipstick smell too.  Other reviews of Lime Crime lipsticks say they smell like vanilla (much like MAC) but Babette doesn't smell this way to me.  I don't know if this is because it's a new shade or my nose just isn't working!
Babette gives opaque coverage in one swipe and is creamy and moisturising with a glossy sheen.  It's an orange-based peach that I was initially really unsure of when I swatched it, particularly as it looks quite different to the bullet colour
I initially felt like it sort of gave me concealer mouth, but the shade has grown on me.  It feels creamy and moisturising on the lips, although it does settle into lip lines and doesn't have a very even finish - not what you'd expect for the price.  This shade for some reason makes my lips look much fuller, which I'm not going to complain about as I have the tiniest mouth ever! I've found this lipstick is a bit too creamy and thick to apply straight from the bullet all over.  I apply a small amount to the middle of my lower lip and then press my lips together several times to distribute the colour all over.  This ensures it's not too thick!
This is probably the closest shade to a nude that I own (bar Creme Cup), and I'm looking forward to wearing it alongside my bright green eyes :)  Teaming it with a pink blusher does help make it look a little less orange-based too.  It also dries down to a more matte, pinker toned shade, but I think that's just because more of my natural lip colour starts to show through.  It wears for around the 4 hour mark, and it starts to fade around the centre of the lips when it does go.  I've also found it clings to dry patches which can look unsightly
I do like the lipstick, even though it's a bit hard to work with.  However, I'm going to change key here.  The promotional images for Babette are nothing like the actual colour I received:

Described on the website as a 'pastel coral.  Think of it as Coquette's pinker cousin!', I was expecting a pale pinky coral colour.  I received an orange based peach.  Granted coral shades can be orange based, but it is nothing like the promotional images, and that really winds me up!
When Googling swatches of Babette to see if other people had received the same shade or if mine was a dud (it's not), I came across this tumblr page.  (EDIT: This tumblr page has now mysteriously disappeared [interesting...] but you can find the information that was on it here.)  Now, I always knew there was a lot of controversy around Doe Deere and Lime Crime, but had never properly looked into it.  I have to admit, I was shocked.  The fact that there is so much stuff about how shady a character she is makes me quite uncomfortable, and I think this may be the last Lime Crime product I'll be purchasing.  It's a real shame because the cute packaging and unique colours are a massive draw for me. Unfortunately the fact a lot of it is just repackaged from other companies and Doe Deere herself seems like someone I don't want to give any more of my money has made up my mind for me.  I can understand people who choose to just buy based on the merit of the products, but I'd rather give my money to someone super nice like Shrinkle of Sugarpill!

What do you think about Lime Crime?

23 comments:

  1. a lot creamier than i thought, a nice alternative to the out there colours :P x

    Kittiecosmetics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is creamy but it settles into lip lines and doesn't have a very even finish, plus it clings to dry patches too x

      Delete
    2. Maybe you should use lip liner, concealer and foundation will help polish the look too.

      Delete
    3. As Lime Crime claim their lipsticks full coverage in just one swipe/straight out of the bullet colour, surely that shouldn't be necessary?

      Delete
  2. I really like Lime Crime personally, even though I don't own any of their products.

    However I'm really disappointed to see that Babette is NOTHING like the pictures on the promotional picture, as you stated!

    I'm going to be reading more of that Tumblr page later on when I'm trying to snooze, as for now it's really annoyed me how crafty Doe Deere sounds to be.

    This being said, I'm glad I don't own any Lime Crime products and will be looking at that dupe list now.

    Thank you for sharing that information with us Alison, it's good to know.

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the majority of their products which is why it's such a shame that I've discovered the company ethics aren't ones I'd like to support. Definitely not the colour I was expecting though x

      Delete
    2. OMG... I just read the article on Tumblr. This is crazy!! I was so happy to buy vegan and cruelty free lipsticks from Lime Crime. I love my Countessa Fluorescent lipstick which the shade is just like the shade I found while searching for swatches on Google. I also bought the Velvetine in Red Velvet. I read good reviews on this Velvetine. Now after reading this article, I don't know if I will carry on purchasing Lime Crime products. Are this products really cruelty free? It seems they aren't vegan.

      Delete
    3. I can't comment on the cruelty free/vegan side of things as I don't know enough about it, but the article definitely makes for interesting reading. I'm glad it's helping people become more well informed and make their own decisions about continuing to buy Lime Crime :) x

      Delete
  3. I love the style of Doe and as well the colours and packaging of all the Lime Crime products. I have a huge collection of their products, especially lipsticks. A few of them look amazing on my lips and have a very good, even coverage, but others look just like Babette on you. Cosmopop for example is a lipstick I was very disappointed with, on the other hand I can't get get enough of Airborne Unicorn. I just heard about the controversy about the company and Doe recently and I am also not sure what to do. I don't believe everything I read, but it doesn't seem that everything is just false truth and it really arrises the question if this is still the company I was so excited about. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you I try to not just buy into everything I read, but as there is so much stuff about the controversy from so many different people it doesn't seem baseless. I think what shocked me most was that when Temptalia gave the lipsticks a poor-average review, Lime Crime wrote in their newsletter that people should email her telling her they thought her review was incorrect...seriously?! x

      Delete
  4. Doe is absolutely nuts but i love this lipstick i dont agree with the company and i totally agree this lipstick is totally different from the image but i love the colour and i love the pigment so im kind of stuck you know

    and concerning temptalia yeah Doe tried to sue her for a bad review....its pathetic

    www.andrewjamesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really gutted about deciding to stop buying Lime Crime but I just can't justify giving my money to a business run with bad ethics and poor practice! x

      Delete
  5. Wow, your Babette looks so much pinker than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think? It still looks super orange to me :( x

      Delete
    2. It's still very very orange for something that advertised as pink. It's still looks pinker (on my monitor) compared to the one I have in my cupboard. So very disappointing.

      Delete
    3. Just a massive let down all round, to add insult to injury it wears terribly! x

      Delete
  6. I don't tend to believe all the controversy, but I don't blame anybody who does. I really like this color with your bright green eyeshadow look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try really hard not to believe everything I read as it's certainly something I've been guilty of on several occasions, but the fact there's so much material on the internet about the entire scandal/drama makes it hard to not believe there's some truth to it. Thank you! x

      Delete
  7. Alright so my comment is super late but I just came across your review and I thought I'd clarify something just to be fair. Lime Crime doesn't repackage "other" brands. They are a private label company meaning that a lab produces cosmetics and then brands get to purchase them wholesale and put their own label on the product. So it isn't the same as repackaged, whereas that is just straight up stealing, like plagiarizing. Lime Crime is made by a company called "New Look" which is also the company that makes products for K'oir and Jesse's Girl (a small US drugstore brand). Private label companies can also tweak colors or formulas, but that's basically it. Doe Deere doesn't come up with her stuff, she just picks colors out and orders them (there's a picture I think on the Encyclopedia Dramatica article where you can clearly see the name of the company on an order form). Way back on Doe Deere Lies some people speculated that the Lime Crime eye primer was the same as K'oir's primer. They look alike, they claim the same things, and they were both potted. Now that a lot of people are saying the reformulation of Lime Crime's primer is not as good anymore, maybe K'oir is the alternative to people who loved that primer although other companies make smoother waterproof primers in pots. I don't know why people are nuts over the matte "glosses" either which are basically liquid lipsticks. A lot of companies have those and I think NYX, Kat Von D and another Sephora brand (I think Shiseido) make some that look exactly the same but at least you can try those in store. Lime Crime did start out repackaging. They repackaged mica which is a cosmetic colorant and then Doe lied and said that TKB copied HER even though they'd been selling those micas years before! She also used to sell a primer which was just Silicone gel, which is the main ingredient in a lot of primers. All she did was add a little bit of glitter and sell a tiny jar of it for $14, she couldn't even put it in a squeeze tube which is way more sanitary! There's so much stuff she's done. She tried to sue a kid on Live Journal for saying something negative about her, she would get in fights on Live Journal, and even girls who used to work with her like Amy called her out publicly on there. You can still find all those entries and see the comments. I know there is a lot of drama surrounding her but honestly if you read all the stuff written by people who were actually her friends and who saw it all happen online then you can see that the crazy stuff surrounding her is true. Even the scandal about her calling another gir's mom an asshole because she bought a dress from Doe that she hemmed with tape and didn't tell her about when she sold it (there's pictures of the dress too just look it up). I know people want to believe she's changed but she hasn't, she's the same liar she always was. Even though her products still aren't worth the price because they aren't that great, the scandals aren't so much about the quality as it is about Doe being a really terrible cheat and liar. I used to love her too but after reading EVERYTHING I just can't even support her ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response! Thanks for clearing everything up - I'd read about pretty much everything you said and I do believe it as so many people are saying it. I no longer own any Lime Crime products and don't intend to buy any in future :) x

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't like their products and find them to be way overpriced.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me a happy Mali :) Feel free to leave blog links as I love new reading material, but please don't promote giveaways - that's just rude! ;)